The congregation was founded in 1775 and is the second oldest in St. John’s. Sixth and seventh generation members of the families who had served the congregation for almost all of 200 years took part in the bicentennial services. These families continue their strong representation in the congregation. Known originally as the Dissenting Church of Christ, the congregation later became part of the Congregational Union of England and Wales. In 1938 it was received into the Presbyterian Church in Canada. The move to the present church, its fifth building, was made in 1959.
Check out the Church History DVD “The Dissenter’s Way” done for our 235th Anniversary by Dr. Steve Bruneau. The following links are posted on YouTube: